Chocolate Cake

Friday, October 23, 2009

So this morning I woke up and walked into the kitchen and was greeted with the tantalizing aroma of something that resembled cake.

Naturally, I got really excited, but after looking everywhere, couldn't find the source of the smell. After a little while, I realised the pot of coffee was on and running. Hazelnut flavoured coffee.

Disappointed, I concentrated on finding an instant source of cake, short of walking to the bakery and getting a slice.

What did I do exactly?
Made a cake in the microwave.

Now, if you google '5 minute cake' you'll be greeted with millions of hits.
The base recipe calls for you to make a cake from scratch and microwave it in a mug.
To maximize taste, however, I usually open a box of cake mix. And I hesitate to use a mug, not knowing how microwave-friendly they are, so I use a microwaveable bowl.

So how do I do it?


Ingredients:
- 5 heaping tbsp chocolate cake mix (I use the Duncan Hines Swiss Chocolate one)
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp olive oil

- Find a microwaveable bowl and butter down the base and sides so you don't lose any of the cakey goodness. I use a bowl that can hold about a pint which is about a litre, to compensate for the cake rising.
- In another bowl, mix together the wet ingredients
- Mix the cake mix into wet ingredients
- Pour into the buttered bowl, cover loosely with a microwaveable lid (I do this because I think the cake gets drier/spongier than if it isn't covered - it might just be psychological though! :)
- Microwave for 3 min; it's done when a knife inserted comes out cleanly
- Top with icing/chocolate chips/nuts or just enjoy straight from the microwave! Careful! It's hot! :D


Microwaved cake has a peculiar taste that at first was odd but it definitely grows on you!
It's a light cake I think, that's still relatively drier than a cake baked in the oven, but a glass of milk will solve that!

0 comments: